10 Reasons To Make Meditation a Part of Your Life
Meditation is essentially any practice that focuses your awareness to a degree that the busy mind quiets down, and you become simply aware of the present moment. Why is this simple act of presence so profound? It’s not easy to explain in words—like other profound experiences in the life—it’s only in the experiencing that you understand meditation’s power and effect.
Meditation comprises a whole world of practices and traditions. Like the different yoga traditions, what works for one person may be different than the next. Some types of mind will relate to more concentrative types of meditation, like concentrating on a mandala or a mantra. Others may relate more readily to sensations or movement, like Vipassana or walking meditation. Others still may be drawn toward devotional practices of meditation.
Although there are many different paths of meditation, I think most would agree that the big picture benefits and results are essentially the same. As they say, many paths… one goal.
If you are new to the world of meditation, I recommend trying out a few different traditions to see what is natural to your character and inclinations.
Here are 10 good reasons to make meditation a part of your daily life:
- Meditation makes you happier… more peaceful, relaxed and balanced.
- Meditation makes other people around you happier because instead of sharing stress, you share peace!
- The busyness in your mind will become less overwhelming as you develop your ability to stay in the present moment.
- Meditation is good for your health, heart and blood pressure!
- You will sleep better because you are more relaxed and living in better alignment with your values and integrity.
- Everything you do will have a heightened sensibility… pleasures will be more pleasurable, and things that don’t give you good results will be more apparent in the moment!
- You will naturally eat healthier because you will be more aware of your sensations and the ill-effects of over-eating or eating unhealthy foods.
- You will live in better alignment with your priorities because you will be more aware on a daily basis of what’s important to you.
- You will have more equanimity with your thoughts and emotions, thus you will have more time between reacting to something, to act in ways that serves you… and others!
- Meditation is fascinating… you will discover a world inside that is full of mystery and discovery!